Ubuntu 9.10 with Grub 2 installed in partition unable to boot

Alan Dacey Sr. GrokIt at ajinfosearch.com
Mon Dec 21 04:05:03 UTC 2009

On Sunday 20 December 2009 02:42:18 am peter.soares at rogers.com wrote:
> I started by installing Ubuntu on my second disk.  When I had trouble
>  booting I eventually tried using Ubuntu from a single partition on the
>  first disk.   On attempts to rerun grub-install
>
> grub-install /dev/sda7
>
> I get a the warning shown below but received no errors:
>
> grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partition instead of the
>  MBR.  This is a BAD idea. grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.
>  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However,
>  blocklists are UNRELIABLE and its use is discouraged. Installation
>  finished. No error reported.

. . . snip

> The second and third SATA units have no operating systems on them just data
>  (after moving Ubuntu to the first disk).  sda1 - Vista, sda5 - XP, sda6 -
>  Windows7.
>
> thanks,

It sounds like you are making this too complicated.  You have more than one
hard drive so why not install grub2 on the second drive and then set the bios
to boot from that disk?  You will keep your windows mbr and it will show up in
the list of operating systems.

--
Alan

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not
to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the
Constitution."
Abraham Lincoln