Archos media player - some files don't play

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 19 20:48:30 UTC 2009

On Thursday 17 Dec 2009 08:30:15 David Fletcher wrote:
> My son bought an Archos 3 Vision a couple of days ago.
>
> The desktop machines and the laptop in the house are all installed with Hardy,
> and none of them are able to mount this player - lsusb shows nothing. But I
> have a mini ITX board with Karmic Server installed, and that one can mount
> the Archos.
>
> I used rsync to copy a bunch of ogg files ripped from CDs using grip, over the
> network from my desktop, and onto the Archos. What we find is, some of the
> ogg files will play just fine on the Archos, and others don't. It just
> says "Play error" and skips off to a different file. I've been using all of
> these files on my old iRiver T60 for ages with no problems.
>
> So I'm just wondering if anybody else here has the same media player? If so,
> does it work OK for you?

I don't have an Archos but I've heard it can be fussy, and I've had some experience with nasty cheap Chinese media players before.

My suggestion would be to look to see if you can see any pattern of difference between the files that don't play and the files that do. Things I would be looking into would include: which ID3 tags are filled in and which are not, file naming (do they contain spaces? is the .ogg extension upper or lower case), bitrate, anything like that.

I've owned a player that refused to recognise tracks ending .MP3 but happily played the same track when renamed to .mp3... I've also seen a player (albeit a mobile phone) that would only play CBR encoded MP3s and rebooted itself if I tried to play a VBR encoded track...you can never be sure..

Mark