Allowing a window to be adjacent to edge that is associated with a panel?

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 22:20:30 UTC 2009

D. R. Evans wrote:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 12/14/2009 03:59 PM :
>> Reinhold Rumberger said the following at 12/14/2009 02:28 PM :
>>
>>> None, that would be a panel property ("allow windows to cover the
>>> panel" or similar). You can also try Alt+dragging the window there.
>
> Hmmm... the trouble with this seems to be that every time the application
> is started, I have to move the window back where I want it because it
> starts like this:

> PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
>                               AAAAAA
>
> Is there some way to make the window start up so that it's already in the
> location I want it to be:

> PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP AAAAAA
>
>    Doc

once the application is where you want it, right-click it's top bar, in
the menu, go to advanced, and then "special window settings" or "special
application settings". the choice depends on the program you're suing,
if it creates child windows, that shouldn't be treated like the main
one, then use window settings, otherwise, choose application settings.
in there, you can configure many settings regarding the window,
including the location and size on screen, and set it to forced if you
like, this way, the window can't ever be moved from its place, even by
you, unless you delete the rule.

i always have aMSN here with a special window settings rule to stay in
certain place on my screen, and even better, i have it set to skip
taskbar, this way, it doesn't have an icon taking taskbar space. also
set it to be borderless, and with no top bar, since i don't really need
them. for a first look, one would think it's an msn plasmoid or
something, or that it's just part of the desktop/wallpaper, lol.

in case you mess anything up, or create multiple rules for same
application and want to clean up, right clicking the top bar of any
application and choosing "configure window behaviour"==>"window
specific" will show you your rules to edit or remove them.

hope this helped :)

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems