installed a little kde, it switched to it on the reboot, and most stuff is missing, no access to a shell of any kind

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 15 14:03:42 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 15 December 2009, Tom H wrote:

>>>I know NOTHING about amanda but if you really need root to install it
>>>and do not want to enable root, you can use "sudo su -" or "sudo -i"
>>>and you will be root until you type "exit" or do "ctrl-d".
>>
>> Amanda is the Advanced Maryland Automatic Disk Archiver & hails back
>> probably 20 years, still in constant development.  New snapshots are
>> released 2-4 times a week.
>>
>> Printed for reference, many many thanks. I didn't really want to create a
>> root login, cuz the last time I did that and tried to remove it, the only
>> way I could remove it was by a bare metal re-install.
>>
>> sudo -i, I take it is the immortal option, won't time out in a few
>> minutes?
>>
>> How about the sudu su -?
>
>Thanks. I know what amanda is, but I have never installed or used it -
>so know nothing about it...
>
>"sudo -i" and "sudo su -" are equivalent and do not time out. It is as
>if you have enabled root, albeit temporarily.

Which is what I need in this case.

>For reference, to re-disable root
>sudo passwd -d
>sudo passwd -l
>should do it.

A refresher read of man passwd was in order.  One of those things I didn't
think of at the time.  CRS or oldtimers I suppose. :(

Thank you Tom.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Humor in the Court:
Q: ...and what did he do then?
A: He came home, and next morning he was dead.
Q: So when he woke up the next morning he was dead?