installed a little kde, it switched to it on the reboot, and most stuff is missing, no access to a shell of any kind

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Dec 13 17:06:42 UTC 2009

On Sunday 13 December 2009, Bruce MacArthur wrote:
>On Sunday 13 December 2009 01:44:13 am Gene Heskett wrote:

>install

>sits

>It

>can see

>couldn't

>> >Does Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get the console work?
>>
>> Not without a working keyboard.  Sorry, Lindsay.
>
>Since you do not have a working keyboard on machine you are discussing,
>you MUST have another machine which you are using for these messages
>(and much of anything else you do right now!).  This suggests a
>theoretical possibility of controlling the challenging machine with
>another computer.  Frankly, I have NO idea of what specific steps would
>be required, but is this an approach that you can at least try out?

Nope, its this machine.  Keyboard and mouse are a logitech wireless combo.

Somehow, what kde that got installed has busted the keyboard.  But as you can
see, the same keyboard is fine when I'm booted to F10 with a full kde-4.3
install.

I made up a grub2 stanza that should do a 'single' boot last night but
haven't tried it yet, life interferes.

I also just installed the build of grub-1.97.tar.gz, and the update-grub
script has been replaced with a grub-mkconfig, which if you don't give it an
output filename just echo's the grub.cfg file to std out.  And it doesn't
scan any '/boot' partitions but the one I'm booted from.  And it looks as if
what it does is correct, as far as it goes.

So I'm trolling through the code looking to see if there is someplace I can
give it a list of bios style partitions so it gets them all.

Thanks Bruce.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Have you ever noticed that at trade shows Microsoft is always the
one giving away stress balls...

   -- From a Slashdot.org post