grub2 = beta?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 12 16:14:51 UTC 2009

On Saturday 12 December 2009, Goh Lip wrote:
>On 12/11/2009 11:53 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>

>Gene, had sent to you the grub2.iso last night.
>Hope you had some success on it.
>
>Did not hear from you since.

I have it (thanks!) and put it on a cd, but haven't yet tried it.
There was a customized grub2 rpm available, which I installed, and which
installs alongside the original grub, and which does work, but its update-
grub2 script needs help.  It finds all the bootfiles on the system, but
renames them all to 'fedora' in the title which for some reason causes error
13's to be reported anyway for boots that are not of the fedora flavor.
Vendor lockin?  Anyway, I haven't had a chance to see if I can fix that yet.

>Looked at your output and noticed that your Mint is on ext3 (and you had
>also mentioned that yourself). which means your grub legacy (from F10)
>should have no problem booting into Mint.

Error 13, invalid file format.

I have since installed the 64 bit version, and I don't recall the filesystem.

>If you still have problem, you can try this at grub-legacy (F10) prompt,
>(where you had problem booting into Mint)
>
>note:type without the 'grub>' ; enter after each line
>
>grub>find /boot/grub/core.img
>
>This will give you the Mint partition at sdb and should read
>(hd1,0)

Is all error 15's to this grub shell.

>then type
>
>grub>root (hd1,0)
>grub>kernel /boot/grub/core.img
>grub>boot

This is very similar to how the menu entry to get into grub2 actually works!
# 0
title GNU GRUB 2, (1.98)
        kernel /grub2/core.img

And that's all it takes to get a grub2 boot menu.

But the grub editor I have is missing many of the things that would make that
work.  I haven't tried 'find' yet, but there don't seem to be any of the
other stuff available from that menu at boot time.  And find returns an error
15 for anything in a grub shell, even if I can see the file is there.

>this should get you into Mint.
>
>Gene, I can understand your reluctance if you do not want to set grub2
>to mbr, and since your Mint is on ext3, you can add an entry to your F10
>grub legacy to include the above lines to handle it.

Strangely after installing the 64 bit version, I can mount those partitions
as either ext3 or ext4.

I will give that a shot after some brunch.

>Hope this helps as another alternative.

I do too, thanks bunches.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If at first you don't succeed, you're doing about average.
		-- Leonard Levinson