Any thoughts on Miro?

Randy Randy at 1800Ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 12 12:43:10 UTC 2009

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I came across an application called Miro (Open-source, non-profit video player and podcast
> client) advertised on the Firefox website and wanted to know what you guys thought about it
> before I installed it.
> http://www.getmiro.com/
>
> Any thoughts - is it as good as it looks?
>
> It's actually in the repos:
>
> nigel at nigel:~$ apt-cache search miro
> democracyplayer - GTK+ based RSS video aggregator (transitional package)
> democracyplayer-data - GTK+ based RSS video aggregator data files (transitional package)
> miro - GTK+ based RSS video aggregator
> miro-data - GTK+ based RSS video aggregator data files
> libmjpegtools-1.9 - MJPEG video capture/editting/playback MPEG encoding
> libmjpegtools-dev - MJPEG video capture/editting/playback MPEG encoding
> mjpegtools - MJPEG video capture/editting/playback MPEG encoding
> nigel at nigel:~$
>
> Nigel

Miro is actually a fantastic idea, but in practice I found it to be an
incredible resource hog (on a Windows machine, I haven't tried it with
Kubuntu).  You subscribe to free video channels much like subscribing to
RSS feeds, but the simultaneous downloading of multiple video channels
uses a lot of resources.

Randy