grub2 = beta?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Dec 11 13:50:42 UTC 2009

On Friday 11 December 2009, Goh Lip wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Thursday 10 December 2009, Goh Lip wrote:
>>
>> And how was that accomplished?  I have no qualms about using a newer
>> grub, if the docs are sufficient to mean it can be easily configured by
>> the likes of an old, retired television engineer like me.  If it takes
>> voodoo charms & black magic, then I'm not all that interested.
>
>The simplest (non-voodoo and don't require a television engineering
>certificate, just maybe rocket science  :) )method is just
>sudo apt-get install grub-pc
>
>Watch out during installation when it will initially use chainload, then
>further instructions will follow. Follow through to finish.
>
>> I just ran into grub2 again.  Running F10 normally here, but just
>> installed Linux Mint 8, 32 bit version on /dev/sdb, which is derived from
>> Ubuntu 9.10
>>
>> I have this in my /dev/sda1(/boot for F10)/grub/grub.conf:
>>
>> title Mint Linux 8 32 bit (from /dev/sdb)
>> 	rootnoverify	(hd1,0)
>> 	makeactive
>> 	chainloader +1

And I just found I didn't have a space between chainloader and +1.

>> Which from what little I can glean from the grub docs I've found, would
>> seem to indicate that it would reload the grub2 from the mbr of /dev/sdb
>> with that chainloader +1 command.
>> However, it just loops back to the selection list on
>> /dev/sda1/grub/grub.conf
>
>Yes, indeed. Booting from grub-legacy menu into grub2 OS and vice-versa
>will necessitates the use of chainloading and chainloading will boot
>into the menu screen of the second boot.

Ok, now that I have the space in 'chainloader +1' I'll try it again, thanks.

>> One thing of major note, the Mint installer allows one to open a terminal
>> while its doing the install!  So you can wander around in the system and
>> see what its doing, which can be very informative, witness that it scans
>> the rest of the system, and incorporates other grub.conf or menu.lst's
>> into its /boot/grub/grub.cfg, making suitable syntax edits as it does.
>>
>> I think that's a heck of a good idea, if I could get it to actually
>> access that boot menu without having to swap the friggin drives around in
>> the bios.
>>
>> Ideas on making this work, anybody?
>
>To accomplish this, you can manually add an entry to bypass the second
>boot; or, to convert all your OS's to a single type grub, as in all in
>grub2 or all in grub-legacy.
>
>To manually add an entry in grub2, add to etc/grub.d/40_custom instead
>of modifying the grub.cfg.

I assume Mint has man pages describing how?  Examples are the best teacher.

>As in all cases where there are kernel updates, remember to update the
>"mbr-grub" (grub that was set to mbr) including the manually added entries.

And this isn't at all clear, sorry.

>One advantage of using grub2 as the "mbr-grub" is that kernel updates of
>other OS's by just changing the kernel numbers eg, just changing
>2.6.31-15-generic to 2.6.31-16-generic    or
>2.6.24-25-generic to 2.6.24-26-generic
>

>Another simpler (rocket science :) ) method is to just allow
>chainloading to the second boot but to set (at the second boot) time out
>to 3 secs and hidden menu.

I need to get the 2nd boot menu to display first...  Off to try it again.  If
it works, I may just blow the 32 bit away and put the 64 bit  rc1 over it,  I
need to get this thing (its a quad core phenom) up to 64 bit at some point.

>Hope this helps, Gene.

We'll see, thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I'm a Hollywood writer; so I put on a sports jacket and take off my brain.