PARTLY SOLVED Re: ethernet connections in Karmic - how do I tame network manager?

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Wed Dec 9 21:43:36 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009, Lisi wrote:

> > > Even if /etc/network/interfaces specifies static?
> > >
> > > Anyhow, that seems one way or another to have been overcome.
> > >  /etc/resolv.conf is maintaining the two DNS servers that I
> > > entered manually, and has stopped insisting that the gateway
> > > is the sole DNS server.
> >
> > I just saw that you have a static setup.
> >
> > I have seen (I have forgotten on which list) a case where NM was
> > trying to set up a dhcp configuration (hence the resolv.conf
> > problem) even though /e/n/i was configured for a static ip and
> > the only solution was to purge NM...
>
> Thanks for that.  I had reluctantly come to the same conclusion,
>  but was a little nervous about what else I might muck up in the
>  process.
>
> I tried DHCP.  It was even worse. :-(

That would indicate an improperly configured DHCP server.

> It is becoming obvious that NM, this computer and this site cannot
>  happily co-exist; and the site and computer are immovable and/or
>  immutable, so NM it is that has to go.

I had similar problems with NM from the get-go, so I made these
adjustments (disabling NM and using a static setup) from the
beginning. You might want to keep the files in /etc/default to make
sure it won't start even if K/Ubuntu, in their infinite wisdom,
decide to make NM mandatory again.

  --Reinhold