PARTLY SOLVED Re: ethernet connections in Karmic - how do I tame network manager?

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Wed Dec 9 17:44:37 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009, Lisi wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 December 2009 11:36:15 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > my point was that it is the DHCP daemon doing the
> > modifying. And it will keep doing so, regardless of NM. And
> > that's usually a good thing.
>
> Even if /etc/network/interfaces specifies static?

If you run dhclient manually, yes. It doesn't really care what
/etc/network/interfaces says when it's run. If you specify static, it
just isn't started. (Not sure whether NM always runs it no matter
what or whether it just forgets to kill it.)
If this file is modified, you may try to run "ps | grep dhclient" to
see whether there are still active DHCP clients. Just kill them if
you don't want them.

> Anyhow, that seems one way or another to have been overcome.
>  /etc/resolv.conf is maintaining the two DNS servers that I
>  entered manually, and has stopped insisting that the gateway is
>  the sole DNS server.

Glad to hear that. Does that mean everything is running properly now?

  --Reinhold