PARTLY SOLVED Re: ethernet connections in Karmic - how do I tame network manager?

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Wed Dec 9 11:36:15 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch 09 Dezember 2009 schrieb Lisi:
> On Wednesday 09 December 2009 10:51:52 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > Actually, this sounds more like you forgot to add "auto
> > <interface>" to your /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> No - it was definitely there.  Tho' I suppose that NM could after
>  all have rewritten it again - tho' I don't think so.

It can't really rewrite stuff if it isn't started. And it won't
usually overwrite existing configurations. I'm beginning to wonder
whether there isn't some other application messing with your setup...

> And resolve.conf was a typo - I have been editing the correct
>  file!

I guessed that - my point was that it is the DHCP daemon doing the
modifying. And it will keep doing so, regardless of NM. And that's
usually a good thing.

  --Reinhold