PARTLY SOLVED Re: ethernet connections in Karmic - how do I tame network manager?

Lisi lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 10:56:19 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009 10:36:40 Tom H wrote:
> >> Or rather, you can't "just uninstall" NM, but you can use
> >> /etc/network/interfaces to override it. NM won't pick up devices
> >> listed there.
> >> I'm not sure if this still works, but it used to be possible to
> >> create /etc/default/NetworkManager and
> >> /etc/default/NetworkManagerDispatcher containing simply "exit 0".
> >> This would disable NM completely.
> >
> > Not only did Network Manager continue to interfere in devices listed
> > in /etc/network/interfaces, it kept rewriting the files, both
> > in /etc/network/interfaces and in /etc/resolve.conf. So I still could not
> > connect.
> >
> > I then added /etc/default/NetworkManager and
> >  /etc/default/NetworkManagerDispatcher as advised here - and bingo! I had
> > a sort of lift-off.
> >
> > This box can now get on-line.  Network manager has stopped rewriting the
> > files as soon as I have finished saving them.  So far, so good.  But...
> > the connection is not started automatically.  It has to be started
> > manually each time the system is either rebooted or shutdown.
> >
> > So Network Mangler is obviously still interfering in some way with a
> > crucial file.
>
> NM does not modify /e/n/i. That is one of my main complaints about it...
>
> Do you have "auto" lines for your nics?

Yes

> (I assume that /etc/init/networking.conf is present and unmodified to
> run "ifup -a" at boot)

That is probably the mystery third file that NM has mangled.  I can't get at
the box immediately to check.  For when I do (and googling does indeed
suggest that NM is probably interfering or has interfered), what should it
look like?  I have never needed to edit it before.

Googling further suggests that /etc/init.d/networking and /etc/init.d may have
been altered and may need putting back to where they were.  So I would be
very grateful if one of you felt able to post specimens of known-working
versions of these files.

And I have decided that, whatever the cost, I am going to purge that wretched
NM.  Then, once I have corrected the files, they will stay corrected.

Thanks for the help.
Lisi