PARTLY SOLVED Re: ethernet connections in Karmic - how do I tame network manager?

Lisi lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 10:18:39 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 05:38:02 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> Or rather, you can't "just uninstall" NM, but you can use
> /etc/network/interfaces to override it. NM won't pick up devices
> listed there.
> I'm not sure if this still works, but it used to be possible to
> create /etc/default/NetworkManager and
> /etc/default/NetworkManagerDispatcher containing simply "exit 0".
> This would disable NM completely.

Not only did Network Manager continue to interfere in devices listed
in /etc/network/interfaces, it kept rewriting the files, both
in /etc/network/interfaces and in /etc/resolve.conf.  So I still could not
connect.

I then added /etc/default/NetworkManager and
 /etc/default/NetworkManagerDispatcher as advised here - and bingo! I had a
sort of lift-off.

This box can now get on-line.  Network manager has stopped rewriting the files
as soon as I have finished saving them.  So far, so good.  But... the
connection is not started automatically.  It has to be started manually each
time the system is either rebooted or shutdown.

So Network Mangler is obviously still interfering in some way with a crucial
file.

Ideas, please?

Lisi