Wireless in 9.10

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Sun Dec 6 14:33:09 UTC 2009

Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Sunday 06 December 2009, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I've tried all the options:- KNetWorkManager;
>>  Network-Manager-Gnome and Wicd. All of them work for a while then
>>  start making problems.
>
> I have next to no experience with any of these, and therefore can't
> offer any advice specific to these apps.
>
>> This is on a Dell Vostro with several users.
>> My own Dell Inspiron 1525 has KNetWorkManager and hasn't caused
>>  any problems at all.
>>
>> The main problem on the multi-user laptop is when someone
>>  "switches users" to log in. Only Wicd consistently allows all
>>  users to choose from the visible routers. But this weekend Wicd
>>  abruptly gave a message that no wireless routers were visible. I
>>  tried rebooting a couple of times and ended up reinstalling
>>  KNetWorkManager -- which only most times works properly......
>
> If switching users is the cause of the problem, why don't you just
> use /etc/network/interfaces? If the laptop tends to stay within the
> same network, this would remove any need to configure anything
> (unless you use a strange setup like my university does).
>
> If the laptop frequently changes networks, that in itself may cause
> some problems if the driver isn't well-written. It might help to
> unload (rmmod) and load (modprobe) it.
>
>> When is Ubuntu going to sort the whole networkmanager chaos out???
>
> :-)
> I haven't been able to use NM since I need more than one network
> interface to be active at a time (i.e. both ethernet and wireless).
> Since I've always used /etc/network/interfaces, this has never really
> bothered me...

Could you give a working example of your /etc/network/interfaces?
We have ethernet and two wireless routers, both DHCP auto and 'unprotected'/open.

> The Idea behind NM also has the problem that one needs to log in
> before a network connection can be established (unless something
> drastically changed). This is a problem on my Desktop, which I tend
> to start and afterwards use/manage remotely...

This is a pain in the proverbial -- I have a couple of widgets that require internet access and
'time out' because KNetWorkManager takes a while to actually connect. OTOH, Wicd would connect
before log in -- much better!

>   --Reinhold

Nigel