Wireless in 9.10

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Sun Dec 6 06:26:46 UTC 2009

I've tried all the options:- KNetWorkManager; Network-Manager-Gnome and Wicd. All of them work
for a while then start making problems.
This is on a Dell Vostro with several users.
My own Dell Inspiron 1525 has KNetWorkManager and hasn't caused any problems at all.

The main problem on the multi-user laptop is when someone "switches users" to log in. Only Wicd
consistently allows all users to choose from the visible routers. But this weekend Wicd abruptly
gave a message that no wireless routers were visible. I tried rebooting a couple of times and
ended up reinstalling KNetWorkManager -- which only most times works properly......

When is Ubuntu going to sort the whole networkmanager chaos out???

Nigel