Phones that work as dialup modems with Linux

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Fri Dec 4 07:03:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 08:46:40PM +0000, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> I'm looking for a new mobile phone with data capability and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of which ones work with Linux? I'm in the UK. What I want is to be able to use the phone for mobile internet access while I'm off travelling. I can currently do this with my LG mobile using KPPP but GPRS speeds are not really acceptable, so I want something more modern and EDGE, or preferably 3G, capable. Does a 3G phone still appear as a dialup modem, or is it more complex/simpler than that? My laptop has bluetooth but I'd prefer the simplicity and robustness of a USB connection. Any advice and experience appreciated.

I have a Sony Ericcson K530i, which provides a basic 3G (no hspa) connection. It still appears as a modem, can be used via bluetooth or via usb
cable, and works fine. on Kubuntu 9.10 you can easily use it via NetworkManager  either through bluetooth (I have gtk+ program blueman installed for
the sake of binding, kbluetooth might also work) or through usb cable.

In my experience, Sony Ericcson models S312 (edge), Z520i (gprs), Z310i (edge) and K750 (gprs) work fine as well. So it might be that any SE would
work ok.

--

Donatas G.