Phones that work as dialup modems with Linux

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 3 20:46:40 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I'm looking for a new mobile phone with data capability and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of which ones work with Linux? I'm in the UK. What I want is to be able to use the phone for mobile internet access while I'm off travelling. I can currently do this with my LG mobile using KPPP but GPRS speeds are not really acceptable, so I want something more modern and EDGE, or preferably 3G, capable. Does a 3G phone still appear as a dialup modem, or is it more complex/simpler than that? My laptop has bluetooth but I'd prefer the simplicity and robustness of a USB connection. Any advice and experience appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark