firefox, asound, and kubuntu

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 05:11:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 18:37 -0500, Jesus Arocho wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 December 2009 01:48:57 am Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 December 2009 12:04:20 am Jesus Arocho wrote:
> > >Fourth, no sound from firefox and flash plugin.
> >
> > I had this problem.  The following advice from David Ex worked for me:
> >
> > Open your Volume utility on the task bar again.  Click on the small button
> > "Mixer" and make sure your PCM volume level is turned up as well as your
> > Front end volume level.
> >
> > 	-Jerry
> >
> Did not work.  Still cannot find which package contains the /usr/bin/asoundconf
> file.  I think it is a python script.  I would have thought that asoundconf-gtk
> the gui frontend would have it as a dependency.

It got removed in karmic. I saw the note in the karmic-devel list as it
was decided and thus asoundconf-gtk became broken. So, you'll have to
manually grab alsa-utils from a jaunty repo, open the file with
something like mc to extract the missing /usr/bin/asoundconf file and
install it. I did that and it worked. Then I got so fed up with karmic
breaking things I needed I re-installed back to jaunty. Now everything
works. Especially asoundconf-gtk which is one of the niftiest ways to
control my audio source I've seen. Nice and clean, no huge bells and
whistles. I like simple... Karmic ain't completely ready for prime time,
IMHO. Ric