How to connect to a router via usb

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Wed Dec 2 11:04:20 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 04:04:41 uriah heep wrote:
> The router-modem provided by my dsl provider has only 2 inputs Ethernet and
> usb.  I have Kubuntu 9.10 on both my main computer and my Acer 4730
> notebook*. I would like to be able to use both on the  modem but Kubuntu
> will not see the modem. Can someone point me to some info on how to do this
> I have googled without success and I am still a newbie in this.
>
>  (everything in the 4730 works without problems with Kubuntu if you are in
> the market for an entry level laptop)

You should use a router/switch to do this. I think what you need to look for
is something called a cable/DSL router.

Possible alternative:- Are you connecting via ADSL down the 'phone line or are
you using cable like me, which I'm told uses a spare channel on the Virgin
Media TV cable?

If it's ADSL, and if you know the user ID and password to log in to the ADSL
service, you should be able to use any ADSL modem/router/switch instead of
the supplied unit. That way, you'd only have the one unit consuming power and
less boxes.

Sometimes you can get these units for nothing through the Freecycle
organisation. I did this for one of my friends, by flashing a Sky TV branded
Netgear ADSL modem/router and setting it up for her service provider.

Dave