firefox, asound, and kubuntu

Jesus Arocho jesus_arocho at comcast.net
Wed Dec 2 05:04:20 UTC 2009

Not having much fun with a clean install of kubuntu 9.1.  First, the install
did not recognize or properly configure my nvidia card; a quick compile with
the latest nvidia driver resolved the issue, albeit with some instability.
Second, I posted a problem with an HP USB flash memory; have not tried the
latest suggestions.  Third, I realized that amarok does not recognize the cd
rom when I insert an audio cd.  Fourth, no sound from firefox and flash plugin.
I managed to make this work in the previous kubuntu version by selecting my
headset via asoundconf-gtk.  I installed the package for asound gui and it
would not run, usr/bin/asound is no where to be found.  What package has that
file; a search in adept only brings up asoundconf-gtk.

thanks