Upgraded from Hardy to Jaunty, now only sound in KDE 4 apps

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Sun Aug 30 07:30:42 UTC 2009

Hi Matthew,

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 01:10, Matthew
Flaschen<matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>> I suppose you are using the default KDE 4.2.2, right?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Then you have a KDE3 version of Kaffeine and need the correct libraries.
>
> I don't really care about Kaffeine per se (it was just an example that
> KDE 3 apps don't work).  However, what libraries are you referring to?

Well, the kde3 libraries. But if you have pulseaudio I am pretty sure
this is the problem.

>> For now, the easiest and probably best solution is to remove
>> pulseaudio (there will be a remaining library called libpulse0 one can
>> not remove without compromising KDE4) as the KDE applications do not
>> need it, set the phonon backend to xine and remove gstreamer if it has
>> been installed.
>
> Can you clarify this a bit more?  Which packages should be removed, and
> how do I change the phonon backend?

'sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio' should do the necessary. Make sure you
also remove gstreamer and vlc-pulse, if this is not done automatically
already by the above command.

Removing ~/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc is also a good idea after
that, just to make sure it really removes the unnecessary backends.

Configuration for phonon is in System Settings -> Multimedia. You will
still have pulseaudio showing there, but it should be at the bottom.
Make sure you have the xine backend showing in the 'backend' tab of
that GUI

Regards. Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org