List of user installed apps

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 22:47:22 UTC 2009

2009/8/29 Bruce MacArthur <bmacasuru at fastmail.us>:
> On Friday 28 August 2009 08:45:32 pm Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Willy Hamra wrote:

> users at lists.ubuntu.com>

> installs that I downloaded from

>> > Nigel, i asked a similar question a while ago, let me quote from the
>> > ancient thread:

> digging
> guess
> apt-get
>> >
>> > Willy,
>> >
>> > I don't think there is anything to worry about. Even if you don't
> use
>> > aptitude, you should be able to achieve what you want. For some
> reason,
>> > I only use apt-get and not aptitude ('cos I am familiar with it),
> and I
>> > like to achieve exactly what you are looking for.
>> >
>> > Declaratively, what you want is:
>> > You want to move from version A to version B (could be, that for a
> fresh
>> > re-install, A = B).
>> >
>> > You want to:
>> > -----------
>> >
>> > - Start with a clean install of version B
>> > - NOT remove any packages that are part of the default install of
>> > version B (safety)
>> >
>> > - Know what additional packages you installed in version A - List1
>> >
>> > - Derive the "top-level" packages that you asked for and not list
> all
>> > the new packages include those installed as dependencies - List2
>> >
>> > - Use either List1 or List2 to quickly get Version B as close as
>> > possible to the current state of Version A
>> >
>> > Declaratively this becomes:
>> > --------------------------
>> >
>> > Amongst the packages currently installed, select those that are not
> part
>> > of the default install - List 1
>> >
>> > Amongst List 1, select those that are "orphans" (top-level packages)
> - List2
>> >
>> > To do this, all you need are the standard tools (dpkg, grep cut etc)
> and
>> > deborphan. From the man page: "deborphan finds  packages that have
> no
>> > packages depending on them. The default operation is to search only
>> > within the libs  and  oldlibs  sections to hunt down unused
> libraries".
>> > If it's not installed you should install deborphan.
>> >
>> > On the clean install (even if it is a new distro), run
>> > dpkg --get-selections | cut -f1 -d '    '> default-list
>> >
>> > Note that the character between single quotes after cut -d is a TAB
>> > (enter it using CRTL-V, CTRL-TAB on the command line)
>> >
>> > You can do this e.g. by booting the LiveCD of your current (or new)
>> > distro. If you use the live-cd, copy default-list to some place on
> your
>> > currently installed version and reboot into your current version.
>> >
>> > In the current version run
>> > dpkg --get-selections | cut -f1 -d '    '> current-list
>> >
>> > Note that the character between single quotes after cut -d is a TAB
> [...]

indeed, these never worked with me. the easiest way, open a text
editor that recognizes the "TAB" key, and doesn't replace it with a
series of spaces. i believe kate works well here. type a "TAB" key,
select and copy it, then paste it in konsole using your mouse, or
using CTRL+SHIFT+V.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems