Startup and Shutdown Sound Volume

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Mon Aug 24 17:07:19 BST 2009

On Monday 24 August 2009 10:22:53 am John DeCarlo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tried Googling and searching, but have not found where in
Jaunty to
> manage the volume of the startup and shutdown (login, logout?) sounds.
>
> They are literally the loudest sounds that ever come out of my
computer
> speakers.  I have tried turning up the volume to maximum on all of my
mixer
> settings and still can't get sounds that loud.
>
> Any help finding and changing this setting would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
> http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34091576500&ref=mf

Hello, John --
I'm not sure whether your goal is to increase the volume on "other
things" or to reduce the volume of startup and shutdown sounds!
Assuming the latter -- personally, I find these sounds to be obnoxious in
the extreme!!! -- I click on the "speaker" icon on the system tray, and
then click on the "Mute" check-box.  That gives me the great peace of NO
noise.  You CAN adjust the volume there, if that is what you want.
Sometimes it seems to take effect only after rebooting, but sometimes it
seems to take effect immediately.  I hope this helps.