kmail doesn't work after new update.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 20 17:26:11 UTC 2009

On Sunday 16 August 2009 04:27:01 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> John L Vifian wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 August 2009 10:37:51 am David McGlone wrote:
> >> Not trying to sound mean here but, Steven has made the comment
> >> he has set up the live CD 50 million times, to send and receive
> >> mail. What makes this situation any different?
> >
> > Well you would think that he would use the same smtp server on his live
> > CD setup as he uses on his installed version so it shouldn't make any
> > difference. Since he sent his last message through a yahoo smtp server it
> > would seem the server settings are valid, and the settings on his
> > computer shouldn't have changed in an update which he claims to have
> > done.
> >
> > Googling a bit it would appear that the server he shows is correct, and
> > in my small amount of testing this is not the error you get with an
> > incorrect authentication method, port or encryption, so to me it seems
> > likely to be a
> > temporary server problem.  Course I could be wrong, or some other useful
> > detail was left out of his email.
>
> Possibly all of the above :-)  But I balk when seeing a line like:
> >> (stevenvollom at 76.250.189.87
>
> with
>
> That sure looks to me like Steven is using a local smtp, which is operating
> in smarthost mode (and giving an improper HELO, at that - really, your
> system should identify with a genuine FQDN, and not *.localnet) forwarding
> to yahoo.

Dear Derek,

I simply don't know enough to respond.  You are talking over my head.
Nonetheless, I have had these settings for most of 5 years now.  The ISP is
not helpful in these matters, because of the fact that I use LINUX which they
do not provide help.  And, my settings are the same on this computer; they
work here.

Steven