kmail doesn't work after new update.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 20 17:22:57 UTC 2009

On Sunday 16 August 2009 02:58:53 pm John L Vifian wrote:
> On Sunday 16 August 2009 10:37:51 am David McGlone wrote:
> > Not trying to sound mean here but, Steven has made the comment
> > he has set up the live CD 50 million times, to send and receive
> > mail. What makes this situation any different?
>
> Well you would think that he would use the same smtp server on his live CD
> setup as he uses on his installed version so it shouldn't make any
> difference. Since he sent his last message through a yahoo smtp server it
> would seem the server settings are valid, and the settings on his computer
> shouldn't have changed in an update which he claims to have done.
>
> Googling a bit it would appear that the server he shows is correct, and in
> my small amount of testing this is not the error you get with an incorrect
> authentication method, port or encryption, so to me it seems likely to be a
> temporary server problem.  Course I could be wrong, or some other useful
> detail was left out of his email.
>
> John Vifian
Dear John,

I am answering this from my Karmic box, but through the self same connection
to the ISP.  It is working fine on this box, so I too don't think it a
configuration problem.

If the kmail package was somehow defective, wouldn't 'sudo dpkg --configure -a'
correct the defect.  I tried, but it did not help.  I have also run sudo
aptitude update and sudo aptitude safe-upgrade without improvement.  At this
point I am at the end of what I believe to be right.

I have been helped before, but have never been able to put the instructions to
a successful conclusion, but when attempting to save emails and stuff from
kmail, I have usually lost the data when I reinstalled.  I have so many
important emails this time, I just don't want to lose them, or I would remove
kmail and re-install it.  I am pretty sure that would work, but I am trying to
avoid the hassle of rebuilding my addressbook and lost data from lost emails,
I have been trying to fix what went wrong.  Thanks for continuing to try to
help.

Steven