Package sftp is not available, but is referred to by another package

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 19:03:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Derek Broughton<derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Package sftp is not available, but is referred to by another package
>>>
>>> OK So what should I use for secure ftp???
>>
>> Are you talking of setting up a server or using a client? sftp is in
>> the openssh-client package and is a CLI ftp like program that using
>> SSH to encrypt the connection. The SSH server is in the openssh-server
>> package. If you looking for GUI client program I would recommend
>> Filezilla. Filezilla support several FTP protocols like "FTP, FTP over
>> SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)".
>
> But why bother installing filezilla when konqueror/dolphin & most other kde
> apps support sftp natively?

If you need to do anything other then just plain transfer of some
files with sftp you really need something better the dolphine, A real
ftp client. For example, there is no way I know of in dolphine/KDE to
set what kind of character coding the server uses, passive or active
ftp or add files to a queue for later transfers and the lack of ftps
support. Sooner or later you want to access some files on a server
that don't work with dolphine so why not use a program that supports
all this protocols?

If you want a file manager with some network support I would also as
Eric did, recommend Krusader, it supports the protocols KDE do and a
lot of other features thats good to have when managing files.

/ Jonas