Package sftp is not available, but is referred to by another package

Eric ejazzkatt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:45:47 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Package sftp is not available, but is referred to by another package
>>>
>>> OK So what should I use for secure ftp???
>> Are you talking of setting up a server or using a client? sftp is in
>> the openssh-client package and is a CLI ftp like program that using
>> SSH to encrypt the connection. The SSH server is in the openssh-server
>> package. If you looking for GUI client program I would recommend
>> Filezilla. Filezilla support several FTP protocols like "FTP, FTP over
>> SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)".
>
> But why bother installing filezilla when konqueror/dolphin & most other kde
> apps support sftp natively?

I have Krusader installed and I use it to do SFTP. You set it up in one
of the menus. Actually you don't really set up anything. You just enter
the normal data you enter for SFTP.

I found an interesting program called Woof. It sets up a temporary
webserver. It's a Python program so all you have to enter is ./woof and
it returns a URL. You can give that to someone else or you can use it on
your other computer to download the file via HTTP. It appears to be a
simple way to transfer a file or two between computers, no matter if
they are a part of your network or just someone you wish to send a file
to.  http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/woof.html

Etic