sane

John L Vifian jongleur at liripipe.com
Sun Aug 16 17:13:55 UTC 2009

On Sunday 16 August 2009 7:25:41 am Billie Erin Walsh wrote:

> Someone else said to leave all his correspondence on the server. Some
> people don't have unlimited server storage. Once that space is taken up
> messages bounce.

That would be me.  What I meant to be suggesting was while he was booting from
a live cd is that he configure the mail program he was using with that to leave
the messages on the server, not that leaving mail on the server indefinitely
would be a good idea.

> I know Steven has said that he wants to use the CLI and learn how, _BUT_
> sometimes it would be easier, and _safer_, to use a GUI way to do it.
> Like in this last episode. Using less and vi is _NOT_ the easiest way to
> get anything done [ unless your a true guru ]. [ I would tell you what I
> _REALLY_ think of vi/vim but then I would catch some H___. ] Dolphin and
> Kate are a much better choice in that situation.

I would agree with most of this, and possibly a list convention that Steven
not be given command line options unless there was no way of doing things in a
GUI fashion.  For instance the gpg key instructions at
http://www.kubuntu.org/faq/PPA-keys say they may not work with KPackageKit and
recommends the cl version.  Frankly I find  KPackageKit doesn't work more often
than not and have stopped using it.

John Vifian
--
Commas are the garbage bags of grammar.