Problems with DVDROM on desktop

Alan Dacey Sr. Grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Sun Aug 16 14:12:05 UTC 2009

On Saturday 15 August 2009 11:18:00 pm Humberto S. Shiromoto wrote:
> Hi
>
> I installed kubuntu 9.04 on my computer (Core 2 duo desktop) but I can't
> use my DVDROM to listen some music CDs. I can use normally for data but not
> for audio CDs. What could be wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Humberto S. Shiromoto
>
> MSN Messenger: humberto.shiromoto at hotmail.com
> Skype: humberto.shiromoto

Due to the rotten lawyers, Kubuntu does not come installed with many of the
things that you may want, like the codecs to play most popular music and
DVD's.  You will have to add them yourself.  You do this in two steps.  First
add the Medibintu repository to your software sources, then install the
package kubuntu-restricted-extras.  That will take care of 99% of your music.

Directions to add repository are here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
(copy and paste the 'keyring' and then 'jaunty' code into Konsole)

Alan