sane

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 00:50:41 UTC 2009

2009/8/16 Clay Weber <claydoh at midmaine.com>:
> On Saturday 15 August 2009 03:49:56 pm Perry wrote:
>> Le Saturday 15 August 2009 18:37:12 John L Vifian, vous avez écrit :
>> [snip]
>>
>> > Some of the things you have had the opportunity to learn in the last bout
>> > of emails are:
>> >
>> > The difference in left and right clicking a file in dolphin
>> > what 'less' is and how to use it in a rudimentary fashion
>> > How to turn line numbers on in 'less'
>> > How to turn line numbers on in kate
>> > when to use sudo and when to use kdesudo
>> > how to search this list's archives with google
>> > what the command cd does
>> > what a path is
>> > what happens when you open kate with a non-existent file name
>> > what happens when you run less with a non-existent file name
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Please give the old man a break,
>> let him time to digest all that, it isn't that easy when it's completely
>> new, I even belive it is a lot to learn in a week, assuming he has no
>> previous experience.
>
> It's been much much longer than a week, it has been almost a *year* (iirc his
> first email to this list was September 2008) that we have been patiently
> helping Steven. That *must* be taken into account here, especially as we have
> been repeating ourselves to him over the course of the past year :0)

i remember a time, a good old time in the past, when i have never
heard of Steven. the list used to be a major source of information for
me, i was still new to Linux back then. we used to talk and talk and
talk, going OT was very frequent, and it was never frowned upon,
everyone enjoyed it, since it was still Linux-related. it wasn't a
geek conference, newbies were treated lovely.
look at us now, more than half the emails are steven-related, those
who have little time to contribute spend this time on steven, the
threads that were not started by him, he'll HAVE to post something in
them, and the whole thread goes to garbage afterwards. i feel like i'm
watching a nursery here, you might have noticed how my contributions
have been very rare in the past months, there's just nothing i feel
worth talking about anymore, whatever happened to REAL computer users
with REAL problems? we scared'em all away? tried googling random
topics of the list? the results are ALL about steven, thanks to his
mentioning of a million unrelated things in one email.
well... sorry steven, i tried to help you a lot, i learned all i know
because i HAD to after wrecking my uncle's computers every now and
then, while i was too scared to admit. i worked days and nights
reading every website, every book, every page of the windows xp help
center, just to fix what i've wrecked. after 2 years of messing,
wrecking, and fixing, i became a computer guru (however it's written
:P)
i remember clearly telling steven NOT to install from experimental
repos, he insisted he wanted to, since it's not fun to be in a stable
old system, and wants to try new things, well, he can try them by
himself. it is very clearly noted everywhere, experimental software is
NOT ppl requiring a stable system, what with those who CANT stand on a
stable ground, and want to try a shaking one, i mean CMON, WTF???
learn the basics, he'll say it's not fun, so what? you're not having
fun, you want to take ours??
learn the basics, enough said. i don't care how boring it is, if you
can't walk, don't attempt running, and definitly don't ask us to take
your hand and run you. we gice you the initial push, you continue on
your own.
you need to have some WITS.
sorry to say it this meanly, but some of the copy/pasting you do from
your shell is just plain stupid. you see the errors right in your
face, and won't notice them, acknowledge them, stop by them, you just
stupidly repaet same command over and over like a robot. i would
understand if you're not a native english speaker, but hell, you are.
and linux isn't exactly the cumbersome uber-geeky writer. i laugh at
most of the error messages for their humour or delibrate
unprofessionalism in them. and those who are not funny, are written
very simply that even a child can get their meaning.
not wanting to make this email any longer, Steven, go read! learn how
to use a shell *professionally* before attempting ANY other program
learning. once that done, i myself will examine you, and before that,
pleeeeeease, leave us alone.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems