Aptitude vs. apt-get

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Fri Aug 14 01:52:24 UTC 2009

On Thursday 13 August 2009 07:21:59 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Thursday 13 August 2009 04:13:36 pm clay weber wrote:
> > Steven Vollom wrote:
> > > What are the differences between the two?  I typed in sudo apt-get
> > > install updates
> >
> > If you typed in EXACTLY 'sudo apt-get install updates', then you WILL
> > get something wrong as the syntax and command for what you are doing is
> > incorrect.
> >
> > when using apt, the command syntax is this:
> > 'sudo apt-get <do-some-action> <some-packagename>'
> >
> > so in the command you used above, you are telling apt to install a
> > package with the name 'updates', which of course does not exist.
>
> When I use sudo aptitude install update it produced work.  I am confused a
> bit here still, because I thought I used the term updates with aptitude,
> but because it worked, I assume it was just update.

That command does produce some output, but if you *read* that output you would
see that it actually did nothing, and said a lot doing so :)

> > so, some apt commands to remember:
> >
> > sudo apt-get update (no 'S') will update the package list and look for
> > updates
>
> Does this means all applications that I have installed?  It is just
> searching for updates, then, is that right?

Correct

> > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade will install updated packages
>
> And this orders the installation.  Is that correct?

 Correct :)

> > sudo apt-get install <name-of-package> will install said package you
> > specify
>
> Can this be used to install a GUI application too.  It seems like I have
> done that many times, but I realize I should always use kdesudo for GUI's.

Any package can be installed this way, but you have to know the correct name
of the package, which often is not obvious.

Remember : kdesudo is for *running* graphical programs with sudo privileges.
Apt-get and aptitude are *cli* programs, so sudo is the correct thing to use
there.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net