Aptitude vs. apt-get

clay weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Thu Aug 13 20:13:36 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> What are the differences between the two?  I typed in sudo apt-get install
> updates

If you typed in EXACTLY 'sudo apt-get install updates', then you WILL
get something wrong as the syntax and command for what you are doing is
incorrect.

when using apt, the command syntax is this:
'sudo apt-get <do-some-action> <some-packagename>'

so in the command you used above, you are telling apt to install a
package with the name 'updates', which of course does not exist.

so, some apt commands to remember:

sudo apt-get update (no 'S') will update the package list and look for
updates

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade will install updated packages

sudo apt-get install <name-of-package> will install said package you specify

This is somewhat simplified as there are many more options that can be
used, but for daily use these 3 are basically all you need most of the
time if you choose the command-line method.

But really, without a better understanding of file paths and proper
syntax, Synaptic or KPackageKit are much better suited for you. Baby
steps are better. Get a complete handle on one thing before jumping
somewhere else.

clay weber

and did not get the response I expected.  Then I typed in sudo