sane

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 13 03:39:45 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 12 August 2009 07:03:08 pm Clay Weber wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 August 2009 06:15:58 pm John L Vifian wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 August 2009 1:12:27 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> > > steven at Yeshua:~$ less sources.list
> > > sources.list: No such file or directory
> > > steven at Yeshua:~$
> >
> > Steven, you should be able to figure out why this isn't working by
> > yourself.
> >
> > First run: info less to find out what less does.
> >
> > Then if the output of your less command says:" sources.list: No such file
> > or directory" then perhaps it is telling the truth and there is no
> > sources,list in your home directory of /home/Yeshua/, which is just fine
> > as there shouldn't be one there.   The file is in /etc/apt/ so you either
> > have to run less from that directory or supply the full path and filename
> > to less.
> >
> > As others have told you by now less /etc/apt/sources.list will do the
> > trick, although I would recommend cat instead of less just in case the
> > last few lines are what people need to see.
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > John Vifian
>
> I think we have too many threads on this subject :), this is OT for this
> one anyway :), and imo Steven needs a gui based bit of help at the moment
> --
> Clay Weber
> http://kubuntuforums.net
> http://flyballmaine.com
> http://emacdogsports.com

I remember using less once in the past, but it has been a long time, and I
really do not remember what to expect in the way of information.  I typed the
following into the CLI and here is what I got:

steven at Yeshua:~$ less /etc/apt/sources.lst
/etc/apt/sources.lst: No such file or directory
steven at Yeshua:~$

Additionally, I expected some kind of list, but what I got is a GUI of
Software Sources, like I would get if I opened it in KpackageKit.  What I was
expecting if in a GUI was perhaps Kate opening with a list of data to read.
Instead I get a screen with 5 tabs across the top, Ubuntu Software, Third-
Party Software, Updates, Authentication, and Statistics.

The items Listed are all check-boxed starting with Canonical-supported Open
Source software (main) and ending with Source code.

It shows I have downloaded from the Main server.

In a box at the bottom,  it says the following:

To install from a CD-ROM or DVD, insert the medium into the drive.

This confuses me, because I don't know what medium they are referring to.  Is
it the Kubuntu 64bit Live CD, or what?

Next I tried:  less kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.lst and got the followiing:

steven at Yeshua:~$ less kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.lst
kdesudo: No such file or directory
kate: No such file or directory
/etc/apt/sources.lst: No such file or directory
steven at Yeshua:~$

I know this is wrong, but I am trying to show your where my thought process
goes with the current effort.  Next I tried kdesudo kate and got the following:

A screen opened with no data on it at all.  I clicked on the Terminal at the
bottom of the screen and got a root at Yeshua:~#.  I typed in
/etc/apt/sources.lst and got the following:

root at Yeshua:~# /etc/apt/sources.lst
bash: /etc/apt/sources.lst: No such file or directory
root at Yeshua:~#

I expected to have kate open again, this time with editable data in it.  The
GUI did not change at all.  It still remained empty.

I realize I should probably not have expected that, but what I was attempting
to find was the editable sources.lst.

I agree that it is time for me to learn this stuff, but I am obviously not
thinking in a logical pattern, or I should have gotten something to review.

I am currently in my jaunty 64 bit kde 4.2.2 OS.  The line error has recently
changed when attempting to install an application.  It changed from line 62 to
line 58.

I just opened KpackageKit and searched games just to try to install something
to see what would happen.  When I hit enter, an error message came on screen
which said:  Title No package cache is ava

The package list needs to be rebuilt.  This should have been done by the I

Details read the following:

Package cache could not be opened.

Obviously KpackageKit is not working properly.  I don't have any idea what to
ask for to enter a google search right now.  I have had a sufficient number of
failures to become very confused.

I realize how foolish I must seem right now, but this is a common pattern for
me when looking for my own solutions without help.  And every time I fail on
several attempts to get an expected answer, I become confused and unable to
continue.  Nonetheless, when I return to try again, I repeat a similar path of
attempts and fail once again, resulting in a feeling of hopelessness.

Normally I use the CLI to install applications; it has worked fine for a long
time, but now it does not work at all.

You have seen how I tried to think out your suggestion.  Can you understand
and explain the improper thought process?  Am I getting the expected response
to my attempts at finding information, or is some application broken?

I am sorry to be such a burden, but until I get this area of computing clear,
I will experience too much failure to continue.

I did all these things prior to getting any suggestions regarding this problem
from the list.  Although I can only remember one time when using the less
command, I expected a lot of data to read.  When there was nothing, I must
have entered the command wrong.  Thanks for your patience in this matter.

Steven