E: Malformed line 62 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (URI parse) E: The list of sources could not be read.

clay weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Tue Aug 11 01:48:52 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> I just attempted to install Kooka and got the above error message.  I also got
> the same error when attemtping "sudo apt-get install updates" and "sudo apt-
> get install safe upgrades".  When I attempt to open /etc/apt/sources.list, the
> Kpackagekit application opens ubuntu software window.

How are you opening /etc/apt/sources.list, with kate?
You will need to use "kdesudo kate" to open and edit the file manually.

please open it with kate, and paste the contents in your reply here

Most likely you mis-typed a line when you added a new repository.
Sometimes you can see the error by looking at the third-party repository
section in kpackagekit, but your error is telling you the *exact* line
that it can't understand so kate is probably the easier tool

> In the box at the
> bottom it says, "To install from a CD-ROM or DVD, insert the medium into the
> drive".  Do they mean the Jaunty installation CD, or what?  Thanks!
Ignore that

> Steven

clay