20090807KL -- "Emergency" -- Lost File

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Sat Aug 8 03:14:15 UTC 2009

Greetings --

This message was previously posted to kdepim-users at kde.org.  In the
absence of any reply just yet, I am posting to two also-applicable
lists, namely kde-linux and kubuntu-users.

I was on Kubuntu Jaunty, and editing an HTML file, using Kate.  A friend
telephoned me with a question that required me to use VirtualBox -->
Windows XP Pro --> Libronix (a Bible study application system).  I
saved my work in Kate (as I frequently do anyway!) before I went to
VirtualBox.  I needed to consult with another friend, and so left my
computer for ten minutes or so.

When I returned, my monitor was dark.  Usually this simply means that
the screen-saver is working.  However, I was entirely unable to recover
the display!  Although we have been having "electrical storms" in the
past few days, there was no such problem in the area, and no other
evidence of a power outage anywhere in the house.  In a few moments,
seeing few alternatives, I powered the entire computer down brutally,
and then rebooted.  When I opened the file that I had been editing in
Kate, several VERY extensive pages of physical printed matter (that I
had previously entered -- and then saved, incrementally, several times)
were no longer to be seen -- either via Konquorer or via Kate!!!

Can anyone give me detailed directions for recovering a more-complete
version of my HTML file under these peculiar circumstances?

=====

Slightly off-topic for this list is another issue that someone might be
able and willing to clarify for me.  Whenever I shut-down Jaunty
("gracefully"!), I am given a 30-second warning.  I usually click on
it.  Then a message is displayed to the effect that KMail needs the
password for KWallet.  If this were when I am starting-up, this would
be expected -- but it happens during SHUT-DOWN!!!  One person suggested
that I delete KWallet, and I like the idea of doing so.  But I do not
yet see HOW to do so.  Can someone instruct me in this rather basic
task?

THANK YOU for your time with this message -- and for any insights you
can offer!!!!!

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur