video plugins for Firefox (Gerald I. Evenden)

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 20:17:04 BST 2009

uriah heep said the following at 08/03/2009 12:31 PM :

> In firefox go to tools then addons and you can see and manage addons.
> Currently I am running 9.04 and ff 3.5 and so far have no video problems.
> the one difficulty I had simply required I download gstreamer.

Maybe this thread is a great chance to arrive at a definitive answer to the
question:
  I am running 64-bit jaunty. *Exactly* what packages do I need to have
installed in order for video to work properly in FF?

I am in more or less the same boat as Donn. What used to be a working
system now only works on some sites and/or some videos. Konq seems to work
great everywhere, but that's not my browser of choice.

All the packages I have installed are official ones, and one would hope
that if one were to have somehow *more* than one needs it wouldn't break
anything, but I kind-of suspect that that hope is misplaced. The fact that
Konq works perfectly seems to indicate that nothing is fundamentally wrong,
it's just that somehow FF isn't finding the right software to handle videos
in some circumstances.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR