video plugins for Firefox

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Tue Aug 4 06:31:59 UTC 2009

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> As usual, whenever I start to dink with Firefox, things start to screw up.
>
> Prior to exploring FF setting, downloading podcasts was as simple as
> left-clicking the podcast, waiting a moment while it automatically down
> loaded *and* then started up Katteine to play the mp3 file.
>
> NOW: left clicking goes into hyperspace and I must rightclick and place the
> download into a file and *then* manually run Kaffeine or Amorak to play the
> file.

Yes, I remembered that, but I think these are not flash flies, BBC
didn't use much flash files then; even now, BBC can sometimes be
s_l_o_w. To verify if flash is working and not BBC server is slow, try
to go into youtube (much much faster) to check, one tab alone on flash
helps too. Also, as Brian has mentioned, make sure Amarok or Kaffeine is
not opened externally.

Since you do have npwrapper.flashpugin.so version 10; you can check at
about:plugins in FF, type "about:plugins" in firefox location, it may
not do any harm, and hopefully it helps, to do "sudo dpkg-reconfigure
flashplugin-nonfree".

I also wonder if you need to use helix nowadays, what programs require
helix? I didn't have this for a long time, and I think it's a gnome app,
right?

Regards,
Goh Lip