Locked up in boot process.

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sat Aug 1 16:19:31 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Saturday 01 August 2009 03:21:31 pm Goh Lip wrote:
>> kdesudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
> I don't have  menu.lst file anymore.  I have no idea what happened to it.  The
> first thing I did was try to open Kate and find that file to make sure pci=nomsi
> was in the kernel.
>
> I swear I have not been doing anything with configuration for a long time.  The
> only thing I did was attempt to install xine.  It failed due to a permissions
> problem.  Then this happened.  I have had no trouble with anything for quite a
> while until the xine install failure.
>
> It took a while, but I went through every item in the files that were in the
> boot folder looking for ACPI problems with PSS.  I could not finde any entry
> that had both ACPI and PSS in the same line.
>
> How could the grub folder disappear like that?
>
> Steven

Beats me. Even if you have updated to grub2 inadvertently, you still
should have menu.lst. But, how did you find this out if you cannot boot
in? If you can, can you make sure there is also no grub.cfg?

Steven, if all you can get is only the command line, you cannot do a
kdesudo kate ..... at all.
Try locate...

Regards,
Goh Lip