Which KDE do I have? was -- Can't get wireless to work with kubuntu 9.04

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Sat Aug 1 15:27:50 UTC 2009

On Saturday 01 August 2009 05:45:31 Errol Sapir wrote:
> I see that this thread is over but I still want to put in my 2c. I use
> WICD as my network manager. Since being introduced to that program I
> have NOOOOOOO problems connecting to wireless or wired connection. The
> network manager (I was told - and also found out from my own experience)
> is pretty lousy so WICD, answers the problem very well.
> Errol

Errol, David and Nils,

Thanks to all for the help.  After several subsequent boots on the laptop, I
found that I no longer needed to put in the iwconfig .... line.  All I needed
to do was go to the network manager (which has a list of nearby wireless
providers) and click on my essid (bbs).  It has even stored my key code and
firefox came right up.

With Kubuntu 9.04 and so many changes to the looks of the thing, I assumed I
was working with KDE 4.2.  Running kded --version gives me

Qt 3.3.8b
KDE 3.5.10
KDE Daemon? $ID: kded.cp 711061 2007-09-01 09:07:51z tpatzig$

What happened to KDE 4?
bruce

PS. If this is a top-post, it seemed appropriate here. b²