Can't get wireless to work with kubuntu 9.04

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Sat Aug 1 13:13:57 UTC 2009

On Saturday 01 August 2009 02:38:02 am Nils Kassube wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:
> > This is what my interfaces file looks like on my laptop:
> >
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > #auto eth0
> > #iface eth0 inet static
> > #address 192.168.2.2
> > #netmask 255.255.255.0
> > #network 192.168.2.0
> > #broadcast 192.168.2.255
> > #gateway 192.168.2.1
> > #dns-nameserver 192.168.2.1
> > #dns-search dmcghome
> >
> > iface wlan0 inet static
> > address 192.168.2.3
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > gateway 192.168.2.1
> > dns-nameserver 192.168.2.1
> > dns-search dmcghome
> > wireless-essid dmcghome
> >
> > auto wlan0
> >

> > I had to comment out eth0 because for some odd reason, I couldn't
> > connect to wlan0 with the eth0 info in the file
>
> I think the odd reason is that both eth0 and wlan0 would be on the same
> network, i.e. 192.168.2.0. If you don't have your eth0 connected, the
> network seems to be unreachable because data are sent on either eth0 or
> wlan0 but not on both at the same time. That is the disadvantage of
> static entries if your hardware connection isn't static. You have to
> enable / disable the interfaces manually if they aren't connected.

I kinda figured I was having an IP address conflict, but never assigned eth0 a
different IP because I'm so meticulous about things and have to have things
neat and orderly and because of that I just had to have each of my 4 computers
assigned just 1 IP.

> > Without this info in the file, Internet wouldn't work for me.
>
> Then you didn't try to use networkmanager or wicd lately, they don't
> need static entries in the interfaces file. And they can handle
> switching wired/wireless more or less automatically.

Admittedly I haven't. I try to stick to the saying "If it ain't broke leave it
alone" LOL

> > I doubt this will help, but I hope it does.
>
> At least it is always interesting to see how others have solved their
> network problems.

Yes it it. It's also interesting in other ways, for example, what you said
above, also made me realize just how meticulous I am.

Now I'm wondering if I suffer from OCD to a certain degree.

Isn't Linux great? :-)

--
Blessings,
David M.