Can't get wireless to work with kubuntu 9.04

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Aug 1 06:38:02 UTC 2009

David McGlone wrote:
> This is what my interfaces file looks like on my laptop:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> #auto eth0
> #iface eth0 inet static
> #address 192.168.2.2
> #netmask 255.255.255.0
> #network 192.168.2.0
> #broadcast 192.168.2.255
> #gateway 192.168.2.1
> #dns-nameserver 192.168.2.1
> #dns-search dmcghome
>
> iface wlan0 inet static
> address 192.168.2.3
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.2.1
> dns-nameserver 192.168.2.1
> dns-search dmcghome
> wireless-essid dmcghome
>
> auto wlan0
>

> I had to comment out eth0 because for some odd reason, I couldn't
> connect to wlan0 with the eth0 info in the file

I think the odd reason is that both eth0 and wlan0 would be on the same
network, i.e. 192.168.2.0. If you don't have your eth0 connected, the
network seems to be unreachable because data are sent on either eth0 or
wlan0 but not on both at the same time. That is the disadvantage of
static entries if your hardware connection isn't static. You have to
enable / disable the interfaces manually if they aren't connected.

> Without this info in the file, Internet wouldn't work for me.

Then you didn't try to use networkmanager or wicd lately, they don't
need static entries in the interfaces file. And they can handle
switching wired/wireless more or less automatically.

> I doubt this will help, but I hope it does.

At least it is always interesting to see how others have solved their
network problems. Fortunately Bruce seems to have his machine working in
the meantime.

Nils