Quick Access Menu plasmoid

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 28 21:48:27 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 28 April 2009 03:21:51 pm John L Vifian wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 April 2009 9:26:33 am Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I set up my 'Quick Access Menu' button to open with /media/Disk1/steven.
> >  It contains all of the saved stuff I use the most.  Occasionally, I open
> > the 'Quick Access Menu' and it is blank.  I have to start all over
> > putting the folders I want in it.  This has happened half a dozen times
> > now since the new Rc was installed.  Any suggestions?
>
> When you open the plasmoid and it is blank how do you get the folders back?
I unlock the widgets.  Then I right click on the Quick Access Menu icon then
choose >Quick Access Settings.  Then I change the address to what I want and
close and lock the Widgets.  In my case I type in /media/disk-2/steven.  It
puts all the data from a storage partition on the widget.  When the widget
that is provided is on the panel, it contains data and settings from the boot
partition.  That is limited to 20gb on my box and is not sufficient to hold the
200gb+ that I want in that widget.  By addressing that partition, I can have
quick access to things like movies, pictures, financial records, etc. instant;
it is wonderful.  I recommend it, providing I am not doing something the
widget was not intended to do.

For those who have trouble finding their stuff, it is a great alternative to
searching through Dolphin or other tools.
> When you rightclick the plasmoid icon in the panel and choose "Quick Access
> Settings" what is the value in the Directory field on the General tab?

I am not sure I understand what you are saying here, but to get where I needed
to be, I opened Dolphin>Root>media>disk>steven.  That is the location of the
storage partition, which is not located on the root partition.  By typing that
address in the Quick Access Settings, it established the desired address for
accessing the storage partition, using the Quick Access button on the panel.
If I had thought of it, I would have made a request for the ability.  I just
found this as a solution to another problem I was having, tried it and it
worked.  You could have a TB or more of data on that button, with quick
access, and never have to worry about bloating the root partition.  And the
root partition was where the previous data on that button was stored.  I am
not sure I understand the reason for your question, but if it is to see how to
duplicate the effort, you will probably like it.  It is the fastest method of
getting saved data that I have ever used.

> As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.

Mine probably hasn't either, but I am not that smart about computer stuff yet,
and a lot of the time things are actually happening that I don't realize.

If you like the thought of having your saved stuff with easy access from a
single button on the dashboard, and have any trouble solving the problem, keep
my personal email address and get back to me when you do the work.  I do not
know the implications of how this would benefit a business computer, but it is
so helpful for me with my home/studio computer I don't want to lose the
ability.  Cheers, my friend.  Thanks for your interest.

Steven