Sluggish bootup.

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) mkhaos7 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 16:14:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:52, Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have waited a bit to see if some kind of update would come out to cure this
> problem.  All those who were experiencing 40 second booting or less had a
> different experience from me.
>
> It would take about 5 minutes for me to boot up in Jaunty after the Rc came
> out.  It was not like that during the Alpha and Beta stages of development.
> Additionally, it took about 5 minutes to shut down, and then usually a hard
> shutdown.
>
> During boot up, I would have to coax the boot procedure by tapping the space
> bar at certain points to get the boot to resume forward progress.  At one
> point nothing would help, and I would press Ctrl+Alt+Del.  Then rather than
> shutting down, the boot process would continue until the OS would open.
>
> From time to time, after booting up, the Mouse would react sluggishly, then
> without warning or update or upgrade, it would return to normal and perform
> properly.
>
> When shutting down, I would get to that silent or pause situation just before
> shutting off, and would wait.  I don't like to press and hold the shut off
> button as a method of closing my computer.  I do not know if any harm can be
> caused, but it seems it may cause damage by not letting the system terminate
> orderly.  Nonetheless, eventually I would tire of waiting and hard shut down.
>
> My Rc installation of Jaunty went flawlessly, however, somewhere in the early
> stages of using the release issue, these problems started occurring.  Being
> accustomed to multiple updates, I have waited for comments of similar action
> from other users, or updates that might rectify the problem.
>
> Today, for the first time since installation of the RC, I booted and got the
> advertised rapid boot up.  It was amazing, it happened so fast.  Nonetheless,
> the system opened with a sluggish mouse and application opening problem, and
> my most used plasmoid stopped working, my hard drive partitions were not
> recognized for a period of time, and things appear gloomy again.
>
> Should this statement be included in a bug report?  Is anyone having a similar
> experience?  Could what I have been writing here be a corrupted OS rather than
> normal bug problems?
>
> I no longer understand when to report a problem or which problems are
> appropriate to include on the List.  I want it understood that I have loved
> Jaunty from the first time I installed, and I am not complaining right now, I
> am just reporting what is happening to me.  The potential of this application
> is tremendous.  When it works properly, it is the best I have experienced.
>
> Thanks for any reply.
>
> Steven

One way to determine exactly what is taking so long to boot is to
install bootchart.
It will time your boot process, storing information like disk usage
and CPU usage and how long each process ran.
You can install it and reboot. After a reboot you will have a .png
image with the whole boot process in /var/log/bootchart/
It will keep a couple of files (.png and .tgz) for each boot you make.

If you are still in doubt what or looking for advertisement on how to
interpret this graphic post it back here so we can take a look.

Cheers.