Audio issues: Pulseaudio HOWTO

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Mon Apr 27 08:59:53 UTC 2009

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 21:57, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at ubuntu.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi marc,
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 18:33, marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578
>>>
>>> If you have any audio problems, then I recommend following these
>>> instructions.
>>
>> No, please do *not* follow that advice:
>>
>> If you really read that post

Oh for heaven's sake!

>> you would have noticed the following, on
>> top of the post, written in bold red letters: [quote]
>> Note 4: Kubuntu users: Don't follow this guide - PulseAudio isn't used
>> in your distribution.
>> [/quote]

I run both Ubuntu and Kubuntu. And, as it happens, I found a lot of very
useful, practical advice in that article.

>> What should be done is to remove Pulseaudio from Kubuntu, as no KDE
>> application is using it, and it causes far more problems than it
>> solves. For some mysterious reason it gets installed and causes
>> problems galore...

If Kubuntu can't play nicely with an installation that includes Ubuntu
then the Kubuntu devs have got big problems.

>> If somebody is in the same situation than me and can't remove it (and
>> believe me, I tried hard to, with the help of the Kubuntu devs on IRC
>> during several hours), move it to the bottom of the sound card list in
>> Phonon to make sure it doesn't interfere with your settings.

Yup, audio in Kubuntu is a mess. Anyway, I've got to the bottom of it
here, and had intended to post the results, but I'll await your detailed
instructions, which I am sure you will share with the community now that
you have solved the problem, and I am sure will be far more complete than
my incompetent ramblings.

Myriam, I think that you need to tone down your approach. It comes across
as patronising, and not very helpful, more dictatorial. I don't choose to
be around people like that in real life, try to circumvent then in my
working life, and certainly don't want to be harangued by them in my free
time. No-one's perfect, and people aren't always as stupid as you seem to
think. I think it might help if you asked more questions and engaged in a
debate before you leap to conclusions, we'd all benefit from that, I'm
sure.

--
Best,
Marc