Install, Boot, and login times for 9.04 gnome and KDE4

Johnny Ernst Nielsen j_e_n_pub at yahoo.dk
Mon Apr 27 07:40:51 UTC 2009

mandag den 27. April 2009 kvad chuck adams:
> I took the time to do the following experiments:
>
> Hardware:
>    mobo:  Gigabyte Technologies  M61PME-S2P
>    uP     :  AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core  clocked at 2.7GHz
>    mem :  4GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz
>    disc   :  ATA Seagate ST3500320AS   500GB
>    dvd   :  LG Multimedia DVD/CD drive
>

> o  kubuntu 9.04  amd64 (x86_64)
>     .  installation    10min:21sec
>     .  boot              19 sec
>     .  login              50 sec
>     .  shutdown      42 sec
>
> o  kubuntu 9.04  i386
>     .  installation     9min:23sec
>     .  boot              19 sec
>     .  login              50sec
>     .  shutdown      42 sec
>
> o  ubuntu 9.04  amd64 (x86_64)
>     .  installation    12 min
>     .  boot              19 sec
>     .  login              13 sec
>     .  shutdown      10 sec
>
> o  ubuntu 9.04  i386
>     .  installation    9min:52sec
>     .  boot             18 sec
>     .  login             14 sec
>     .  shutdown     10 sec
>
> Installation:  time from start install on last step to popup to
> restart the system
>
> Boot:  from 0 sec on countdown from GRUB to sound at login display
>
> Login:  time from <return> after password to last note of login
> tune
>
> Shutdown:  time from click on turn off computer to front panel
> light goes out, i.e. power is off.
>

> All done on the exact same system hardware and with digital stop
> watch to the best of my ability.
>
> FYI
>
> chuck

Thank you very much Chuck :o)

After installation, the first login to KDE always takes noticably
longer time than subquent logins.
The first login has to populate the user's home directory, and do some
other one time initialisation.

Are you curious to see what the times are on the second KDE login?

Best regards :o)

Johnny :o)