no "upgrade available" notification

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Mon Apr 27 00:49:13 UTC 2009

On Sunday 26 April 2009 2:13:05 pm D. R. Evans wrote:
> Derek Broughton said the following at 04/26/2009 09:27 AM :
> > I installed Intrepid, fresh, two weeks ago, and it never ran the
> > update-notifier until I started it up after Jaunty was released.  So
> > "how" is simple - it isn't turned on by default.
>
> I've certainly been receiving update notifications for several months.
> Indeed, I received a whole bunch the very day that jaunty was released.
>
> >> (2) how do I fix it?] But I repeat  that we have not passed the
> >> threshold
> >
> > issue yet.]
> >
> > You follow Clay's advice.
>
> Argh! Can I cry?
>
> I... have... done... that.... It does *not* fix it.
>
> I'm sorry; it just doesn't.
>
> >> I know that the instructions tell me how to start the updater. I don't
> >> see the relevance. If I start the updater manually, it simply tells me
> >> that there is no upgrade.
> >
> > Now that's a whole different problem from the one you originally asked.
>
> Yes. I agree.
>
> > Once you have the update-notifier running, you may perhaps need to choose
> > the "Fetch lists" option to update the available changes (I have no idea
> > if that's required - I had just run "aptitude update" when I first
> > started the notifier.
>
> I have fetched the repository lists so many times I have lost count. The
> only good thing is that the system is completely consistent: it always says
> that there are no files to upgrade.

Maybe this will help, compare your sources.list file to mine. maybe you just
don't have a software source enabled. Fat chance, but worth a shot.

david at buddy:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#
# deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081028)]/ intrepid
main restricted

# deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081028)]/ intrepid
main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid restricted main
multiverse universe #Added by software-properties

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-updates restricted main
multiverse universe #Added by software-properties

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any
## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid universe
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid multiverse
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid-backports main
restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository. This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is
## offered by Canonical and the respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu
## users.
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu intrepid partner
# deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu intrepid partner

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid-security restricted main
multiverse universe #Added by software-properties
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid-security universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid-security multiverse
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy universe
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-experimental/ubuntu intrepid main