Jaunty Static IP address

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 18:45:12 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 13:33 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 26 April 2009, Derek Broughton wrote:
> >Ric Moore wrote:

> >NetworkManager never _supported_ static IPs.
> >
> >> It's been the bane of existance for eons on the Fedora list. It's been
> >> sworn at for so long that I have to wonder why it keeps being
> >> included. :) Ric
> >
> >It keeps being included because it does the job very well for the vast
> >majority of users.  And with Ubuntu's policy of simply excluding any
> >interface that was in /etc/network/interfaces from NetworkManager control,
> >it was pretty easy for the few who needed a static IP to have it.
> >--
> >derek
>
> Sorry derek, but I have to echo ric's comments.  For those of us running a
> home network with all static addresses, behind a NATing router, NM is pure
> poison, and gets disabled/nuked at the first opportunity I can get a shell
> opened to do it.  And any distro that links it such that it can't be
> disabled/removed without gutting the gui, will be replaced by a distro that
> doesn't, its that simple for us.  So make NM a dependency of something
> important at your own peril.

Gene, I agree. I have seen packages that should be able to be removed,
list half the system install as dependencies to become removed as well.
That's not what I call "The Right Thing<tm>" Reminds me of yanking out
Mandrake roots, to be re-potted, screaming bloody murder. I hope this
practice gets some review.

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987