no "upgrade available" notification

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Sun Apr 26 13:44:02 UTC 2009

On Sunday 26 April 2009 6:49:54 am Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Doc,
>
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 16:21, D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My laptop has a just-about-as-vanilla-as-possible installation of
> > intrepid on it. No betas, no PPA, no 4.2, nothing other than completely
> > official intrepid packages.
> >
> > I have seen no trace of an "upgrade is available" icon, which surprises
> > me.
>
> There is no such notification. A running distribution, e.g. your
> Kubuntu 8.10, will only get 'update' notifications. There is no and
> will never be any 'upgrade to a new distribution version'
> notification, it simply makes no sense to have such a notification.

How come others have it, and I have it On not 1 but 2 computers? Adept updater
is sitting on 2 of my computer toolbars right this minute and with mouse over
it says "An upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04 is available"

> PS I strongly suggest to everybody on this list to *read* the precise
> questions asked by others, not just *assume* that it could have been
> meant otherwise. Answer the exact question given should be enough and
> would make the live of all of us much easier...

Why make this remark? Not every question is perfect, because some people don't
know what to ask at first. So they make their best effort to describe it in
order to arrive at the question they originally wanted to ask.

Take for instance the thread started by Nigel "open window widget on the
panel", at first I didn't fully understand his problem or question, because he
didn't exactly know how to state it. Heck he didn't even know the name of the
widget he was trying to configure, but after a couple of posts I realized what
he was trying to do and showed him how to solve his problem.

So, why make the remark? You may be right about the update icon, but IMHO your
demeanor was uncalled for.

Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net