no "upgrade available" notification

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 26 10:49:54 UTC 2009

Hi Doc,

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 16:21, D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com> wrote:
> My laptop has a just-about-as-vanilla-as-possible installation of intrepid
> on it. No betas, no PPA, no 4.2, nothing other than completely official
> intrepid packages.
>
> I have seen no trace of an "upgrade is available" icon, which surprises me.

There is no such notification. A running distribution, e.g. your
Kubuntu 8.10, will only get 'update' notifications. There is no and
will never be any 'upgrade to a new distribution version'
notification, it simply makes no sense to have such a notification.

Regards, Myriam.

PS I strongly suggest to everybody on this list to *read* the precise
questions asked by others, not just *assume* that it could have been
meant otherwise. Answer the exact question given should be enough and
would make the live of all of us much easier...

http://www.fsfe.org