Jaunty Static IP address

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 23:06:43 UTC 2009

2009/4/25 Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu>:
> Paul Lemmons wrote:
>> Interesting... I thought we were supposed to moving *away* from backend
>> file editing. I have not had to do this for a very long time.
>
> Odd...  I thought that additional layers of abstraction are only
> worthwhile when they make things simpler.  And I have /never/ found
> NetworkManager simpler for static IPs.

i have always thought new GUI programs are made to simplify the nasty
CLI work we have to do, and manual hacking of settings files here and
there, where on earth does network manager store it's settings? and do
devs really have any idea how many compatibility issues arise from not
letting the program simply edit /etc/network/interfaces?
many programs look at the file to get it's info about the network,
many use some commands to check routes which can only work if
interfaces is set up, it's the standard after all, this is just real
twisted designing.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems